Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Eulogy for my Grandmother 4/28/2007

Eulogy for my Grandmother!

(this was written on the morning of her funeral 4-28-07, I was able to speak at the funeral. Thank God, I didnt break down! )



What can you say in a few words about the passing of a grandmother? There are so many memories that I could share, so many things to say. Each of us grandchildren has so many memories of her. However, today I want to share a few things that granny taught me.






Granny taught me a lot about life. She taught me the importance of living a good Christian life. – She always made sure that we heard about Jesus. And if she wasn't telling us to go to church….then she was taking us to church. And if she wasn't talking about the bible or Jesus…then she was singing about it. I remember so fondly those times in church…… sitting on that second row at Ebenezer Baptist church. You could always hear her sing. Even as she got older and her vision failed. She would sing from memory. She knew the words and never missed a note. She had two jobs during church……..one was to keep us grand children behaving; the other was to keep grand-daddy from sleeping.



She taught me about keeping gas in the car! One summer Krysten, Granny and I were going to town. However, Granny was very low on gas. So, granny had to coast downhill. But while shifting gears on the automatic car---granny missed the N and hit the R. We went back up that hill screeching tires. From that day on I was so scared of having to coast downhill that now I make sure to keep a full tank of gas.





She taught me the importance of knowing when to shut up! Around the age of 13 or 14 she and I began to not get a long so well. It was only because my smart mouth seemed to not know when to shut up. Later on in life, I learned that sometimes you just have to let her win……. Because most of the time granny was always right! (And now looking back, she really was right)





She taught me respect for other people's things. While we were young and rambunctious……. Something would eventually get broken. She would usually be really mad or really sad….and then say " I CANT have NOTHING!" Now when something breaks at my house, those 4 words come racing back. Usually once I say them, I cant help but smile.





She taught me about soap opera's. I can't tell you how many summer days I spent at her house watching As the World Turns and Guiding light. Some could argue that this is a bad habit to have. But for now, I will watch them just to feel close to her. I know just how much she loved them.





She taught me the importance of family. It was the second thanksgiving that my husband and I spent in our new house. And we wanted so badly to have everyone over for thanksgiving. Granny was a little reluctant, but she came. She and mom spent the night at my house the night before. We cooked that night and then we all three settled in the living room to watch some television. I think at some point, all of us, mom, granny and I ended up on the couch. I remember my husband Bryan coming in and saying: "That's a couch full of Downs's!" It was okay, because for that one moment in my life—all was right with the world. That was the first and the last time that she spent the night at my house. But for me, it was a memory that I will cherish forever.





She taught me to appreciate flowers. I can't tell you how many times we got in trouble growing up because we would pick her camellias and hydrangeas. To Krysten and I they were just ingredients in our mud pies. But to granny they were God's beauty come to life. Now each day I can look out and appreciate the flowers a little more.




She taught me a good bit about cooking. We all know that grandmothers are the best cooks. I have so many memories of cooking with her. Mostly I remember taking all of my cooking experiments to her to taste. Believe it or not she always liked whatever I took her.




And finally, she taught me the importance of having a handkerchief. Granny always had a handkerchief in her purse for runny noses or tears. Today most of us carry a handkerchief to wipe our tears of sorrow for her. But we should all find joy in knowing that Granny no longer needs her handkerchief. She is happy in Heaven reunited with grand-daddy.




So, in closing let us all remember the lessons that she taught us.

-a love for Jesus

- Always keep gas in the car!

- Respect for others

- A love for family

- Stop and appreciate the flowers

- How to enjoy a good home cooked meal

- Love your grandchildren!




We should all take those lessons to heart and pass them on to everyone we can! One can only hope that we could be half the person she was.




I love you granny and miss you more than words could say!

No comments:

Post a Comment