Thursday, July 4, 2013

'Maters & Crackers

There are a few things that trigger memories of my Granny Downs like no other.  Summer vegetables are one of those things.  I remember that summer vegetables meant some very early mornings for us grand kids.    If we were not in the field out by my grandparents house.  We were in the Tomato patch in Slocomb, AL. For some reason I remember that it was always a little foggy and the dew was falling just before sunrise.   I can still see it in my mind.    Who knows what time it really was but for us it meant groggy eyes and cat naps whenever we could.  Granddaddy would always stop at Hardees and get us a buttered biscuit on the way.  He knew we would need some carbs for that labor we were about to do!  haha

I can remember that tomato field in my mind so vividly.  My granddaddy would park the car at the end of the row and we would pick tomatoes until our 5 gallon buckets were full.  Granddaddy would put them in the trunk of the car.  I really don't remember how many buckets we picked but it seemed like it was enough for the town of Ozark.  Now looking back it was probably only four or five buckets.  That drive always seemed like forever going.  However, on the way home the drive was a welcomed respite to tired legs and a sweaty brow.

The work didn't stop once we got home.  We were always part of the canning and preserving process.  I hated every minute of it then.  I thought there was nothing worse than having to be in the kitchen with my grandparents during my summer break.  Now, I wish I could go back for just one more summer.

I learned so much from those times in that kitchen.  Here is just a sample:
- South Alabama summers are HOT and its even hotter when you have a stove going and one window air conditioner.
- Okra is not worth the pain.  It is torture to pick and even more torture when you have to cut it up and get all slimy.
- Always listen for the "pop" of the jars that you canned.
- Putting up corn is a very yucky job-- husks, silks, and sometimes you might get a surprise bug or worm when shucking corn.  This job is best done in the shade of the Oak tree sitting on the tailgate of a truck.
-Grating corn off the cob is hard work too. Be sure not to slip and get your finger!
- Butter beans are good--- but shelling them makes you NEVER want to waste one bean.  I can still feel the pain in the edge of my thumb nail and how my nail would turn green.
- Chicken tastes good-- but I don't want to EVER be part of the butchering process ever again!
- Zucchini's only purpose is to be grated and made into bread.  Its a summertime must!
- You can find all kinds of things to do with tomatoes.  spaghetti sauce, salsa, crushed tomatoes for cooking, vegetable soup base, sandwiches.   Not one 'mater was wasted.
- Little white peas tastes the best when you cook them straight out of the garden.
- watch for snakes in the garden!
- You must not waste one single plant or vegetable.
- a 5 gallon bucket makes a good seat when you are picking peas.
- never wear jelly shoes to the tomato patch.  (HA!  true story!)
- All summertime vegetables are best when cooked with love......

Tonight I stood in front of my stove as I was canning tomatoes in my kitchen.  The smell, the sounds, the whole process brings back so many memories.  I had a little break down while I was watching the caner and waiting for it to boil.  I was worried that I was going to screw something up.  I was worried that I was somehow disappointing my Granny.  I wanted so badly to call her.  I just wanted her to be proud of me for trying.  I hope she is.  I hope she was looking down over me tonight and telling Buck that she sure wished she had some of those maters and crackers.  ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment